Thursday, June 16, 2011

Writing..

Some people are so gifted that they dont have to think much before starting to write anything. They just hit their desk, take a pen and just start scribbling.. And those scribbles end up being a famous novel, a play, a script, etc. or may be even a most read article in the times!! Well, there are some people who have a great interest in writing, (even if they don't read so much). But, bad luck, they just cant find a better topic. And even if they find it, they don't know what to write. And eventually, they drop their idea of writing and continue with their work. Well, sadly, i will place myself in the latter category.

I dont read too much, but when i do, even after reading few pages of a nice book, i start to feel my love towards writing!! Likewise, i love watching movies!! And when i watch some really good movies, short films, or even a good episode of a TV serial, i feel the same. And then the story continues as stated above. :(  The people having the same situation in their life as mine, will know exactly how it feels when this happens..

However, around 4 years ago, there came a time when i kept myself stubborn, (well, i m a taurean, and taureans are known to be stubborn!!;)) and sat down to write some nice stories.  And i did succeed in doing it. I wrote four stories in Marathi. Yes!!! In Marathi!! I gave those to my parents, obviously, they liked them and they even suggested me some changes. I didnt want to wait with just that. So, i gave them to my friend to read. She's a good critic!! She read them, and she liked them too....!!! Well, of course she suggested me some changes, and i did think about them and implemented 'some' of them. (I am a good friend after all!).

Now was the time to take the next step. As any writer wants his work to be published, how can a small writer like me be an exception?? So, i selected two of my four stories, which according to me were BEST! I had a friend who was working for a local Marathi newspaper. I contacted him. (Well, after reading this you might think that i am a kind of person who, once the goal is set, doesn't rest until his goal is reached.. But, time to wake you from a dream. I actually took about two weeks to do all these things.!!)

Time to move ahead. I called him, and told him about my plan to publish my stories in the newspaper. He agreed to that and told me to give him the rewritten fair copies of the stories. Now here's when the first thought of giving up came to my mind.. Rewrite two stories???? It was like you come out of the examination hall, after scribbling whatever you know (and also whatever you dont know) for three continuous hrs., and the examiner calls you back in and tells you to copy the whole paper again!! How stupid that would be.

My brain became heavier.. I came home with the same thought whirling in my mind. My mom gave me a very tasty cup of tea. And after drinking that with my favorite "PARLE-G" biscuits (i dont expect the 'Parle-G' people to praise for this free advertisement. Well, a few pennies will be accepted though!!) I could finally give some rest to the 'giving up' thought that had come to my mind some time back. And i sat to copy the stories.
The stories were not so big, both of them filled just about 4-5 full scape papers. But what can you expect from a lazy ass guy like me?? I took two days to copy both the stories.

After two days, they were finally ready. To make them a little more presentable, I decided to put them in a file. So, I bought a file, put the papers in it and went to the newspaper office. But there was a bad news before I entered the office. My friend who was working there called me and told me that he wasn't available as he had gone out for some important work. But he told me a person's name to whom I was supposed to hand over the 'file'! So, I went in, gave the file to that person and came out with a smile on my face.

I proudly started telling my friends and relatives that my story was going to be published in the newspaper.
The coming Sunday, i woke up early(which normally a man doesn't do) and started to browse through the paper. But i didn't find the story. I said to myself, "Dude, chill.. Its just 1st Sunday. Have some patience.." so, I decided to follow my heart's order. I waited. But same thing happened the next Sunday. I couldn't find the story anywhere. I kept searching desperately for at least 1 story for the next two months. (I am not kidding. I actually waited for 2 months.)

I couldn't be patient any more. I called my friend and asked him about it. He said he would ask the editor. Next day I got call from him. And whatever I heard created a storm in my mind. That editor said that the stories contained superstitious content!!!!! I was like.. "WHAT THE HELL!!!!????"  I didnt even know what to think about! There was no thought in my mind!! I came to know what people mean when they say.. "Dude.. I am blank!!"

Well, since then I never wrote any story and even that editor didnt  turn out to be kind enough to publish it!! Anyways, I haven't really given up yet. I will find a way to publish them here in my blog. And yes, in  Marathi!!!! And those who cant read Marathi can start searching for a translator!! ;)            







1 comment: